August 14, 2014

Dollar Shave Club - pics, review!

Hello, Beautiful!

If you're like me, you've seen that Dollar Shave Club commercial and laughed - because it's really funny & cleaver - but also secretly want to sign up, even though it's technically a men's shave club. If you haven't seen the commercial I'm talking about, click here to go to their website and it's right on their front page. And after you watch that video, check out their video for One Wipe Charlies; it's hilarious as well, maybe even more so (I love their sense of humor and laid back company feel).

I use men's razors often - almost as much, if not more than women's razors - which is why the Dollar Shave Club appeals to me. I had to find out what this Dollar Shave Club was all about. Is it really just a dollar? Is it worth it?

They offer three subscription options; the lowest is really just $1 (hence the name, Dollar Shave Club) but you pay shipping, which is only $2 more. There are two other subscriptions - one is $6 a month and one is $9 a month - both those subscription prices include shipping. So it's basically $3, $6, or $9 a month. I have the $6 a month club to show you in this post. Plus, I also have all the add-on's - which you can order anytime you need them. The add-on's are a shave butter, post shave, and flushable wipes.

CLICK HERE to sign up!

Check out all the info below along with my review! You may be interested in sign up for yourself or for the man in your life!!





First, let me show you the razor....

Dollar Shave Club - The 4x "Lover's Blade"

















Dollar Shave Club Info & Review:
Cost/Availability: $1, $6, or $9 a month - details listed below. Available on the Dollar Shave Club website.
My Rating: 5 out of 5 Kisses!

Product Info...

Dollar Shave Club couldn't be simpler. Select on of their great razors, pay one low monthly free, and they send 'em right to your door. No more over-paying for fancy brand name shave tech. No more forgetting to buy your blades.

They have three great blades to choose from - which is basically how you choose your membership:
  • $1 per month (plus $2 shipping): The Humble Twin 
  • $6 per month (shipping included): The 4x (aka "The Lover's Blade")
  • $9 per month (shipping included): The Executive

Every new member gets a FREE compatible handle. And if you upgrade or downgrade your plan to a different blade, you get ANOTHER FREE handle.

Upgrading or downgrading is easy; it's like putting a hot blade through lather. Change your blade with two clicks, and receive it the next month. Yes, handle is still included FREE. 

You're going to love your blades. But even if you don't, you can cancel anytime. Easily. They have a satisfaction guaranteed. 

Plus, if you need some bathroom extras it's easy to add them onto your order:
  • Dr. Carver's Shave Butter (6 oz tube) - $8 added to your total
  • Dr. Carver's Post Shave (3.4 oz bottle) - $9 added to your total
  • One Wipe Charlies (40 count) - $4 added to your total


$1 Per Month: The Humble Twin
  • The Humble Twin keeps it simple, wielding nothing but truth. It's like your old high school gym, before the class of '62 alumni donated $1 million and rebuilt it into a modern coliseum. Wasn't it better back then? Whatever. If you're a twin blade guy, then this is the business. And maaan is it cheap!
  • $1 per month, plus shipping. Shipping is just $2 -- so this option is really $3 per month.
  • 2 stainless steel blades
  • A great basic shaver, for guys who dig simplicity and precision.
  • A shallow pivot head contours the face.
  • 5 cartridges per month.
  • Lubricating strip moisturizes and soothes the skin.
  • Reliable - this is the '82 wagon that starts when the temp's below zero.
  • This razor does not front.

$6 per month: The 4x - aka "The Lover's Blade"
  • This is your new razor. And it's also your girlfriend's new razor. Or your boyfriend's. You see, the 4x is also known as the Lover's Blade. It was designed to satisfy the harshest critics of both genders, so you can share your subscription (but not your blades, gross) with someone you care about. It's equally good for the face, legs, armpits, or anything else. 
  • 4 stainless steel blades
  • The last razor you'll ever need - a gentle shave in a single stroke.
  • Full 90-degree pivot head hugs the turns, surges you onward.
  • Lubricating strip moisturizes and soothes the skin.
  • 4 cartridges per month
  • You will love this razor - and your girlfriend can use it too.
  • Wide-open back for a fast, easy rinse.

$9 per month: The Executive
  • What do you get the bathroom sink that has everything? The Executive. This blade is muy successful. Muy sexy. Weighty, substantial handle delivers the ultimate compliment to the man who understands. And the shave is so buttery, it feels like you're carving turns through a virgin Wyoming snowfall.
  • 6 stainless steel blades.
  • The final frontier - it's like a personal assistant for your face.
  • This blade comes from the future and lives in outer space.
  • Aloe, Vitamin E, and lavender lubricating strip moisturizes and calm sensitive skin. 
  • 4 cartridges per month.
  • Special trimmer edge.
  • Full 90-degree pivot head.
  • Wide rubber guard with wave fins brings the hair up to shave deep.



My Review...

First, can I just comment on how cleaver and cute the slogan is on the box: Shave Time. Shave Money. I love it!

While I gave the Shave Butter, Post Shave, and One Wipe Charlies to my best guy friend, I kept the razors for myself. Although I did reserve one cartridge for him to use at my house, since he sometimes takes a shower here. Plus, I wanted a man's perspective on the razors.

The subscription I have in this post is the $6 a month club, which is perfect for me and would be perfect for any woman (or man). It's their middle subscription price and I think a lot of people would easily fall into this subscription category.

This blade is called "The Lover's Blade", and it really is great for both men and women. The razors get the job done and because they're so affordable, I can change my razor cartridge more often than I normally do. I used to try and stretch out my razor cartridge for as long as possible, making shaving more frustrating and difficult along the way - I've been guilty of using the same razor cartridge for up to 3 months (yup... that got rough towards the end). These blades give you a great shave all week - and longer - without any issues that you could think of (unless you don't know how to shave; that's on you).

Having this subscriptions means I never have to worry about running out of razor cartridges, and it saves me money! At $6 a month - and keep in mind shipping is included - it's $72 a year. That may sound like a lot for razors, but think about how much you're paying on other razors right now. I was paying between $10 and $16 for just 4 cartridges.... so this shaves me, I mean, SAVES me money (see what I did there). I save about $4 to $10 every 4 cartridges - which adds up to saving $48 to $120 year!! I don't know about you, but I'm trying to save money any way I can. This is just a smarter thing to do if you're a shaver.

I personally don't need the add-on's every month because I have more girly products I like to use - like my L'Occitane Almond Shower Oil, which is my holy grail product to shave with. But a guy could really benefit from their add-on products. They would be really helpful and convenient - plus, they're really great products (reviews on each of them below). You wouldn't need all three of the add-on's every month, but if you wanted to order all three add-on's at once, it would cost you $21 on top of whichever razor choice. But you'll likely only need to add-on the One Wipe Charlies every month, which is just an additional $4.


Speaking of the add-on's....



Read below for individual product info & reviews....


Dr. Carver's Shave Butter

 




Dr. Carver's Shave Butter Info & Review:
Cost/Availability: $8.00 (6 oz full size). Available on the Dollar Shave Club website.
My Rating: 5 out of 5 Kisses!

Product Info...

Transform the dread of shaving into the joy of softly wiping whiskers off your face. It's not shaving cream. It's shave butter.

Their Formula 6301-1 is transparent and crafted for precision. Seeing better is shaving better. Like a hot knife through butter, it's all about flow. Won't clog your blades, and won't clog your face. Don't look back. Your face has never felt better. Believeth that.

Notable ingredients: Golden Barley, Organic Prickly Pear Cactus, Pacific Sea Algae, Black Willow Bark, Vitamins A, C, and E, and Oat Extract.

$8 with shipping and handling included. Add it onto any month during your Dollar Shave Club subscription.

Non-irritating. Safe for sensitive skin. Fights razor bumps and helps prevent ingrown hairs. 100% satisfaction guaranteed.


My Review (and my best guy friend's review):

This has a really great texture; I'd describe it as a lightweight gel that has a buttery, creamy texture to it. Glides on really easily and because it starts off white but smoothes on clear, you can easily see where you're shaving and won't miss any hairs.

I did test this out once for myself, but the main review of this will come from my best guy friend - since I gave the Shave Butter to him. I had an easy time shaving with this; didn't clog the blade and provided a smooth glide. My best guy friend felt the same way, and said it was one of his favorite products to shave with that he's ever used (he's a bit stubborn so I think he really wanted to admit it was his favorite, but he had to play it cool). And even though I do have my own girly products I like to shave with, I have to admit I really enjoyed using this and would consider using this in the future on myself - plus, this is $8 to shave with compared to the L'Occitane Almond Shower Oil I'm currently using, which is $36 for the big size. I find the Dr. Carver's Shave Butter performs kind of closely to the Almond Shower Oil, as they are both clear (although the Almond Shower Oil will lightly foam up white, but for the most part it's clear and easy to see where you are shaving). They both provide a great texture and feeling for shaving, and I don't have any issues with either of them when it comes to razor burn or bumps. Dr. Carver's got one up with helping to prevent ingrown hairs (for women, that's most important in our bikini zone).

We both loved the scent; it's a very light scent and it's hard to put my finger on exactly what it is. I know I'm going to sound really dumb trying to describe the scent, but to me it was like a cashmere vanilla mint. Really nice and comforting scent, without being anywhere near strong or over powering.

Overall, we both loved this Shave Butter and would recommend it!



Dr. Carver's Post Shave

 




Dr. Carver's Post Shave Info & Review:
Cost/Availability: $9.00 (3.4 oz full size). Available on the Dollar Shave Club website.
My Rating: 5 out of 5 Kisses!

Product Info...

The ultimate amnesty for the disruptive act of shaving. Calming and healing. Moisture and renewal. Look no further; the Post-Shave is all you need to move on.

Instantly calms and soothes before hydrating and locking in moisture for an all-day bounce. Works all day; you won't even know it's there. A mighty all-in-one. Continues where others stop. Renewing actives work quietly to improve skin texture, while protective antioxidants fight the aging process.

Notable ingredients: Golden Barley, Prickly Pear Cactus, Sodium Hyaluronate, Aloe Leaf Juice, Oat Extract, Vitamins A, C, and E.

$9 with shipping and handling included. Add it onto any month during your Dollar Shave Club subscription.

Safe for sensitive skin. Non-sticky, non-greasy. Soothing and hydrating, with anti-aging protection. It's what you want on your face all day. 100% satisfaction guaranteed.


My Review (and my best guy friend's review):

I almost didn't give this to my guy friend... that's how much I loved this product! It has the same scent as the Shave Butter -- that hard to describe, cashmere vanilla mint that I'm sure is completely inaccurate -- but on the skin, at least on my skin, it even had a hint of chocolate mint scent. Regardless of my inability to describe what in this world this magical delicious smelling potion is, I will say that I LOVED the way it made my skin feel.

It has a lightweight texture that blends in so easily, and leaves your skin silky and velvety smooth! Great moisturizing effect; even on dry skin!

My guy friend didn't get the same chocolate mint scent when it was on his skin, but he still liked the scent and best of all - I liked it on him. Some shaving products can be too strong and too noticeable. I've even complained in the past about the way his face smelled. There is not one complaint when he uses the Dr. Carver's Post Shave. It's a very lightweight, subtle scent but it's a good scent.

He has dry skin and it kept his face hydrated all day, even when he normally would start to get dry again by the end of the day. I don't think I'm going to let him take this Post Shave home... I want to keep it at my place so I can sneakily use it and tell him I didn't.... or I could be an adult and just buy my own lol.

If you couldn't tell, we both loved this and would recommend!



One Wipe Charlies - Flushable Moist Wipes



One Wipe Charlies Flushable Moist Wipes Info & Review:
Cost/Availability: $4.00 (40 count pack full size). Available on the Dollar Shave Club website.
My Rating: 4.5 out of 5 Kisses

Product Info & Review...

Civilized and dignified. You're a gentleman. Be gentle.

Buttwipes made for men. Flushable and biodegradable vicose rayon. Soothing, calming, and refreshing. Gentle peppermint scent.

Each pack includes 40 durable 5"x7" sheets. Just $4 with shipping and handling included. Add it onto any month during your Dollar Shave Club subscription.

If you haven't already, click here and watch their video on One Wipe Charlies. It's hilarious.


My Review (and my best guy friend's review):

I didn't get to personally test these, so my opinion doesn't really matter - as I only was able to feel and smell them. They have a peppermint scent, which my guy friend says also slightly smells like mint green tea (um... okay then).

My guy friend says these have a smooth texture and they stretch a bit if needed. They're not overly moist, just a perfect level of moistness. They feel smooth to use and because of the peppermint, they have that minty refreshing feeling -- like a light breeze (as he says). He does say he can still smell the wipe on his hand, even after he washes his hand but it's not strong.

Compared to using a baby wipe (which was his typical go-to), he prefers the One Wipe Charlies because baby wipes can be way too wet. He would recommend!


Now let me know what you think...
What do you think of this subscription service? Have you tried this or is this service you'd like to try? If you'd like to sign-up CLICK HERE! Discuss in the comments below.

6 comments:

  1. We just upgraded to the "Executive" blades and it is well worth the extra $3.
    Thanks for the review of the shaving butter and after shave - we'll definitely check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been a customer for over a year now, and while I love the price and quality, I was wondering - do you find the angle between the handle and blade while you're shaving to be awkward at all? It took me quite a while to get used to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @lola5375: Yes, definitely check out the shave butter and post shave; I was really impressed! Glad to hear the upgrade is worth it. I may check that out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Elizabeth: I don't find anything awkward about it, but I mostly use men's razors to begin with, so maybe that's why I didn't really notice anything. I will say that there was maybe a slightly difference in the angle but it wasn't enough to really dampen my shaving experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you review the newer miracle repair serum? I get bad bumps on my... ahem... bikini area and was wondering if that would be a good product to help fix that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Anonymous: I wasn't aware of a new serum... sounds fantastic. I'll have to give it a try in the near future! I also get bumps - even under my arms for some reason from time to time - so I'd be interested in giving it a go!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are set for me to approve them before they post. I do this so I can read each & every one, answering any questions that may be in a comment. Please share your thoughts and questions below :)