January 4, 2014

Fran Wilson Cake Eyeliner in Black - pics, swatches, review

Hello, Beautiful!

At the end of November I reviewed the Fran Wilson MoodMatcher Luxe Twist Sticks, which are great lip products (and I still have a review of their MoodMatcher Lipsticks coming soon), but I have another product from Fran Wilson to share with you in this post - their Cake Eyeliner. I love powder liners because I often like to use a black shadow/powder liner on my outer upper lash line to help smoke it out and make my lashes look thicker. Sometimes I only use a shadow/powder eyeliner as my eyeliner for a softer look. Check out my full review below, including all the product info, after the pics!

Fran Wilson Cake Eyeliner
Shade: Black












Fran Wilson Cake Eyeliner Info & Review:
Cost/Availability: $7.50 (0.09 oz full size). Available on the Fran Wilson website, and everywhere else Fran Wilson cosmetics are sold.
My Rating: 3.5 out of 5 Kisses

This is the formula professional make-up artists use! Gentle, long-lasting and smudge-resistant, it's easy to apply, whether requiring exceptional precision and control or achieving that runway smokey eye effect.

Available in Black or Brown.

On their website it says this is the "formula professional make-up artists use", and while I don't necessarily agree with that statement, I will say that I do love using a cake eyeliner or pressed powder shadow for a liner. You can use them wet or dry - which is great for versatility. Use dry for a softer, more smoldery, smokey look or use wet for a more defined line look.

It comes with a mini-brush, which honestly I didn't like at all, but I don't care about that since I have so many brushes of my own. I did try to use the brush, just to try it, and it wasn't something I was comfortable with. Too small and didn't give me the type of control and look I can get with other brushes I already own. I prefer to use a thin angled brush.

I have to say that this isn't the most pigmented or the most intense black shade for a powder eyeliner, but it works well. I'd say it's almost comparable to MAC's Carbon in the intensity of blackness. This also has some shimmer to it, but it doesn't really transfer all that well to the point where it would look sparkly or anything like that - which is a good thing if you're not into shimmer/glitter, but a bad thing if you want that sparkle.

I find this works really nicely as a cake eyeliner. I love to use it on the upper lash line, just on the outer corner to help intensify, lightly smoke out my eye looks. Also helps make my lashes look more full. I wouldn't recommend this for the waterline, but that's pretty true with any powder product. I don't think using it wet makes it more intense in color - it just helps the application be more precise instead of more smoldery.

Overall, an affordable cake eyeliner product that goes on nice and stays put!

Now let me know what you think...
What do you think of this cake eyeliner? Have you tried this or is this on your beauty wish list? Discuss in the comments below.

1 comment:

All comments are set for me to approve them before they post. I do this so I can read each & every one, answering any questions that may be in a comment. Please share your thoughts and questions below :)