June 2, 2011

Amusement Park-Proof Makeup Testing: Round 1!

Hello, Beautiful!

Round 1 of the Amusement Park-Proof Makeup Testing is complete. Continue reading to see all the results!

Products I used:
  • Moisturizer: none
  • Primer: Illamasqua Matt Primer
  • Foundation: Make Up For Ever Face & Body Liquid Makeup (2 coats)
  • Concealer: Make Up For Ever Full Cover Concealer
  • Setting Powder: none
  • Blush: none
  • Eyeshadow Primer: Too Faced Shadow Insurance
  • Eyeshadow: Make Up For Ever Aqua Cream
  • Eye Liner: Make Up For Ever Aqua Eyes
  • Mascara: Mally Volumizing Mascara
  • Brows: Tarte Amazonian Clay Waterproof Brow Mousse
  • Lips: Fresh Sugar Rose Lip Treatment

Testing Conditions:
  • temperature: High around 90 degrees
  • what the sky was like: Very sunny; hot & humid!
  • any clothing/accessories that could affect the results: I did use sunglasses for most of the day, as well as one blotting sheet closer to 2pm
  • if I went on any water rides: no water rides today
  • if I went on any roller coasters: no roller coasters; just kiddie stuff (merry-go-round & ferris wheel)
  • total number of hours at the park: 4 hours
  • total number of hours, including travel to & from the park: 9 and a half hours

Testing Photos & Notes:

Before Kings Dominion:
I chose to skip a moisturizer because my skin is naturally pretty oily and I didn't want more products on my face to slip and slide around. Plus, my skin isn't too dry right now and knowing how hot it was going to be I felt a moisturizer was totally unnecessary. I could have skipped the primer too, but for today's testing I wanted to see how well it may wear or if it will cause more issues. I used Illamasqua's Matt Primer.

For my foundation I selected a waterproof foundation - Make Up For Ever's Face & Body Liquid Makeup in shade #32 Alabaster Beige. The coverage is sheer, but last summer this foundation really impressed me with it's staying power. I'll have to see if the same can be said when I use two coats instead of just one.

I waited 5 minutes after applying my primer before I applied my first layer of foundation. I applied this foundation with a flat top brush and buffed it in using small circular motions, as well as my fingertips around my nose, eyes and brows. I then waited 3 minutes, blotted my face with a tissue, and applied a second layer. This time I used the same brush but instead of using small circular motions I went for a stippling method. Again I waited 3 minutes and blotted with a tissue.

I was tempted to use a setting powder but for the purpose of this testing I did not.

I used concealer under my eyes and on my problem areas (right now I have bad breakouts on my chin, and the usual breakouts everywhere else). I used my fingertips and a tapping motion to get the most coverage, but honestly I just kind of did concealer quickly and not as good as I should have. For concealer I used Make Up For Ever's Full Cover Concealer in shade #6 - Ivory.

In between waiting for my 2nd coat of foundation to set and applying my concealer I did my brows using Tarte's Amazonian Clay Waterproof Brow Mousse.

Next I applied Too Faced Shadow Insurance to my lids and waited about a minute before applying Make Up For Ever's Aqua Eyes in shade 2 - Steel. I then went over it with a light coat of Make Up For Ever's Aqua Eyes in shade 13 - Warm Beige so my eyes were too dark (although it didn't change the color all that much).

Then I lined just my upper lash line using Make Up For Ever's Aqua Eyes Liner in Mat Black. Followed by Mally Beauty's Volumizing Mascara.

For lips I wanted to use a hydrating tinted lip balm, so I chose Fresh Sugar Rose Lip Treatment, which I re-applied throughout the day. I'm also testing it to see if it will melt sitting in my bag.

Here is the "before" photo taken at approx. 8:30am (I look really sleepy in this photo):





Arrival Photo (taken after over 2 hours in the car):
The road trip to the park can do some damage on my makeup since it takes about 2 hours and 15 minutes to get there. Sometimes it takes longer if we have to make stops, other times we get there in just about 2 hours. But just the length of the drive can cause the makeup to break down.

Here is what my makeup looked like when I arrived at Kings Dominion, just before going into the park (sorry the lighting is SO unflattering; oh well, I didn't fuss and try to take another one):
Not too much makeup changes; maybe a little shine but that's because I didn't use a setting powder like I normally do. Having combo dry/oily skin, with it mostly being oily now in the summer, a setting powder is like a must-have step to making sure my makeup stays put. For my next round of testing I will try using a setting powder to see if I get better results after just the car trip to the park.



During Photo
It doesn't take long before I want to check in on my makeup. I went to the bathroom just one hour after arriving. The lighting is awful, but not much has changed with my makeup. It seems to be handling the weather pretty good. My eye makeup and brows haven't budged, but I can see my concealer is fading and my foundation is starting to change a little. Still, good enough to keep going.

Here is a During Photo taken a little over an hour after arriving at the park:


Touch-Up Photo
The temp really started to cook us and my makeup was in need of a touch-up. I really should have just started over, but I didn't for this test. Instead I just re-applied another layer of Make Up For Ever's Face & Body Liquid Makeup using the same flat top brush in circular motions. The application of it was really tough since my skin was so hot and slick. It didn't want to blend in well at all; next time I will use fingertip application.

Even after touching up I still felt it looked awful, but whatever, at that point I was so hot I didn't care.

Here is a touch-up photo taken 2 hours after we arrived at the park:


After Photo
The day is over and by the look of my face below I am beyond happy to head home. It was a short trip because my son was not a happy camper, and my grandmom was not happy with the heat, but we still had a great day! It was really empty at the park today so we could get right on any ride we wanted and get in line for food/drinks and games without any wait. It made the day feel longer because we did so much in a short time. We were only there 4 hours but it felt like a full day!

I tell you, the last little bit to walk was hell; my son asked if we were in the desert, haha. It was SO HOT!!! I swear my makeup melted in those last 15 minutes more than it did the entire day.

Here is what I look like after 4 hours in the park (don't mind the redness; it was a tiring walk especially since I had to carry a giant bear that I won for my son):
A close-up to show how good my eye makeup stayed:



Back Home Photo
Since we left the park early we made it home at a decent hour and even though I was tired (and still am as I type this) I was able to take some quick "back home" photos.

Here I am at 5:45pm, approximately 9 and a half hours after I first applied my makeup (of course there was one touch-up mid-day):

And a close-up of my eyes to show you how well the eye makeup stayed on:



Just for a side-by-side look, here is the start of the day and the end of the day:


The Verdict:
Here's what I think of each product I used... 
Primer: I don't think this primer did a whole lot. It didn't keep my face matte and it did not prolong my makeup wear. In fact, if I remember from last summer (but I could be wrong) I believe this same foundation lasted way longer when I skipped a primer.
Foundation: I still love this foundation. It lasts a long time, but not all that long. I mean, I still needed a touch-up after just a few hours in the heat, but it may last longer using a different primer or paired with a setting powder or setting spray.
Concealer: My concealer faded away pretty quickly on some areas but suck around on others. I'm neither satisfied nor dissatisfied with my concealer choice.
Eyeshadow Primer: I can always, and I mean always, count on Too Faced Shadow Insurance. I love it!
Eyeshadow: It didn't budge at all, and although I did use a great shadow primer, I still think they would have lasted even without one.
Eyeliner: This stayed put all day, although by the time I got home it did look like it needed a touch-up, but it was still in place!
Mascara: I don't like waterproof formulas and this is proof that you don't always need a waterproof formula to have a long-lasting mascara. My mascara looks the same as it did this morning. Love it!
Brows: My brows did begin to fade away by the time I got home, but nothing drastic. I still had brows, they just need a touch-up.
Lips: I had to re-apply throughout the day as needed, which is to be expected. It did NOT melt, which made me very happy! It did get softer, so I was worried it would full-on melt, but thankfully it stayed okay in my bag.


Next time...
Next time I'm going to try wearing the same foundation but use a setting powder with it. I may use a different primer (Make Up For Ever's HD Primer) or I may skip a primer all together. I'm still unsure about that.

I may also choose to try out Rimmel's Lasting Finish 25 hour wear foundation.

For a concealer I think I'll test out one by MAC.

Brows will be the same because I can trust that product for the most part.

I will skip a shadow primer and just use Make Up For Ever's Aqua Creams.

Same eyeliner for the top lashes, but I'm also going to test out Smashbox's Jet Set Eyeliner on my inner rim/water line (per a request I received by email).

Mascara will likely be the same.

I don't have a lot of long-wear lip products, because I can never find a color I like, but I'm going to pick one up to try out.




No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are set for me to approve them before they post. I do this so I can read each & every one, answering any questions that may be in a comment. Please share your thoughts and questions below :)