May 27, 2011

Make Up For Ever Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation

Hello, Beautiful!

One of the lasts posts for the Week of Make Up For Ever! In this post I want to talk about the very first Make Up For Ever product I ever tried, their Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation!

At the time I was looking for a great foundation to give me coverage and last all day. I did some research and decided to try it out, and I'm glad I did! I loved it and still love it! It's one of the few foundations that I used to the end of the bottle and re-purchased (usually before I can even finish a bottle of foundation I'm using something else).

The reason I love it so much is because it does give me great coverage, helps control shine, is oil-free, and water-resistant! I think I first tried this back in 2004, just after my wedding (I wish I had tried it before my wedding because it would have been my wedding day foundation). It became my trusted foundation for days I had to work because I knew on early mornings I could throw it on fast and look great all day without worrying about it half-way through.

Onto swatches...



Make Up For Ever Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation
Shade: No. 35 Vanilla
Shade Description: For medium skin with yellow/beige undertones.





Before & After:
I used shade #35 - Vanilla for the Before and After pic below. I applied it using an e.l.f. Cosmetics stipple brush, using circular motions to buff it in.




Basic stats for Make Up For Ever's Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation:
Formula: liquid
Coverage: medium to full
Wear: long-lasting
Shade Range: 16 shades on Sephora.com
Container Type: A squeeze tube with twist-off lid.
Cost: $34 for 1.01 oz size
Availability: Found only at Sephora and Sephora.com
My Rating: 5 out of 5 Kisses!

Formula:
A liquid foundation that applies smoothly and evenly. A little goes a long way, so if you don't want full coverage you can use less or mix it with a little moisturizer for less coverage. It is water-resistant, but it's not waterproof (but I'd say it's pretty close to it). It gives you a natural matte finish.

Coverage:
This is a medium to full coverage foundation. To most it will be considered full coverage, but to others they may think this isn't a true full coverage foundation. You can layer this foundation over flaws/blemishes if you apply thin enough layers and it won't look cakey; just velvety.

Wear:
This is a long-lasting foundation, but it will depend on your skin type and activity level. Even though you don't need to use a setting powder with this foundation, it's recommended to use one to increase it's wear.

Shade Range:
16 shades that offer a wide range of undertones.

Container:
A squeeze tube-type container with twist-off lid. I actually like this squeeze tube formula, although when it gets down to the end I get a little frustrated trying to get it out.

Cost:
Really affordable for a great, high-quality, long-lasting, foundation!




4 comments:

  1. Will this match someone who is around nc25-nc30

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Anonymous: yes; I am NC25/NC30! I hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What product would you recommend to set it? Any powder that matches the Vanilla shade?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Anonymous: You really don't need a setting powder with this, as it dries down to a velvety-powder like finish, but it will also depend on your skin type. For me, my go-to setting powder is Dermablend. When applied correctly it will keep my makeup on for HOURS longer than normal. I love the original, but have one of the tinted versions (Cool Beige, I think it's called - can't remember off the top of my head). I don't like the tinted version as much only because it doesn't have the right undertones for my skintone and can sometimes effect the way my foundation looks (sometimes -- it's still mostly translucent).

    ReplyDelete

All comments are set for me to approve them before they post. I do this so I can read each & every one, answering any questions that may be in a comment. Please share your thoughts and questions below :)