November 4, 2010

Skin Care Boot Camp

Hello, Beautiful!

Right now I'm feeling anything but beautiful. I've been very stressed the past several weeks and that is never a good thing with my Cushing's Syndrome. My hormone levels are going crazy and my skin has gone crazy too.

I have been so busy on some days that I didn't even have time to shower or wash my face. Gross, I know, but it's a fact of life. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there that can skip a day (or two) of showering when they're super busy and not leaving the house. I know I'm not the only gross one out there!

My skin was improving greatly. I had limited blemishes and the new ones that were showing up were less crazy and didn't bring a whole group of them. And now back to bad-skin-city!

So now it's time to kick my skin back into shape with what I'm calling Skin Care Boot Camp. I'm using a lot of the same products as previously listed in other blog posts, but I've added some different products and when I apply them, so I figured I'd update this blog with that post.

I did take a before photo, which I don't even dare to post until there is a major improvement with an after photo. But once I do post the before and after photos you may be shocked at how awful my skin gets in such a short period of time with lack of care and too much stress (thanks a lot, health problems). I look like one of those before photos in those Proactive commercials... maybe even worse than some. It's so bad that not even makeup can make me feel good - although I still have a great routine for covering my awful skin.

Here is my Skin Care Boot Camp product list:


MORNING ROUTINE PRODUCT LIST:
  • Sephora Face Complexion Brush
  • Patricia Wexler Dual-Action Foaming Cleanser
  • MAC Volcanic Ash Exfoliator (2 to 3 days per week)
  • Olay Refreshing Toner (only on days I'm really oily)
  • Patricia Wexler Anti-Aging Acne Serum (only on days I am breaking out a lot)
  • Patricia Wexler Skin Brightening Daily Moisturizer SPF 30
  • Korres Evening Primrose Eye Cream
MORNING ROUTINE REGIMEN:

First I begin by prepping my $5 Sephora Face Complexion Brush. I just run it under water to get it wet and then apply my cleanser directly to the brush head. I massage the brush head onto my skin in circular motions. There is no real rhyme or reason, I just do circles. I normally will go in one direction (such as only doing clock-wise), then rinse the brush head off and go back over the same area in the opposite direction. After I wash my entire face with the face brush (taking 20 to 30 seconds minimum per main area), I rinse off my face and the face brush. I pat my face dry (don't rub your face, especially if you have any breakouts - you can spread the bacteria or cause more skin irritation).

Every other day, or every two days, I will exfoliate my face with a good exfoliator. Currently I'm using MAC's Volcanic Ash Exfoliator. This works good to make my skin feel nice and soft, but the smoky smell is hard to deal with, but then again I'm pretty sensitive to certain smells. I apply this with my fingers to my entire face, and most times just use my fingers to gently rub it in circles to exfoliate my face. However, if it's been awhile, or if my skin just needs it, I will use my Sephora Face Complexion Brush to work in the exfoliator. Using the brush adds an extra layer of exfoliation.

Then, if my skin is oily (mostly in the summer time - not so much in the fall/winter), I will use Olay's Refreshing Toner - which I apply with a cotton ball. I apply this to my t-zone (forehead, nose and chin) but also to my cheeks, which is where a lot of my breakouts happen. This toner will help balance out your skin so it controls oil. I don't always remember to do this step, and it's not a step that will hurt or greatly benefit my skin care routine. It's just helpful.

If my skin is breaking out alot, or if I see new breakouts forming, I will apply Patricia Wexler's Anti-Aging Acne Serum to problem areas (which for me is everywhere). I don't always do this step in the morning, even if I need it. I try to because it is very helpful, but I will also use this at night if I forget to do it in the morning.

Finally, I will apply Patricia Wexler's Skin Brightening Daily Moisture SPF 30. I love this moisturizer. It's perfect and I can't really explain why. It just works. Then I'll apply my eye cream, which right now I'm using Korres Evening Primrose Eye Cream. That completes my morning routine.

TIP: I should mention that if you are applying an anti-acne treatment (like Patricia Wexler's Anti-Aging Acne Serum) you should wait 15 minutes before applying your moisturizer or anything else on top. If you don't wait you're just diluting the anti-acne formula and not getting its full benefits. This can hold true with all nighttime serums and treatments too. I like to fill that time by brushing my teeth, brushing my hair and picking out my clothes.




 
NIGHT ROUTINE PRODUCT LIST:
  • Makeup Remover (usually Victoria's Secret Total Makeup Remover and Make Up For Ever Sen's Eye Makeup Remover - but I will use whatever makeup remover I have on hand)
  • Sephora Face Complexion Brush
  • DDF Blemish Foaming Cleanser 
  • Patricia Wexler Exfoliating Cleanser
  • Patricia Wexler Overnight Acne Repair Lotion
  • Philosophy Help Me
  • Patricia Wexler Skin Brightening Daily Moisturizer SPF 30
  • Korres Evening Primrose Eye Cream
  • Philosophy Hope in a Tube
NIGHT ROUTINE REGIMEN:

First I begin by removing any makeup I may have on my face. I don't wear makeup everyday, but most days I do. Even if I don't have makeup on I will still use a makeup remover over my face just to take off any excess oil and dirt so my cleanser can really get my skin clean and not just clean off my makeup.

Next I prep my $5 Sephora Face Complexion Brush. I just run it under water to get it wet and then apply my cleanser directly to the brush head. I massage the brush head onto my skin in circular motions. There is no real rhyme or reason, I just do circles. I normally will go in one direction (such as only doing clock-wise), then rinse the brush head off and go back over the same area in the opposite direction. After I wash my entire face with the face brush (taking 20 to 30 seconds minimum per main area), I rinse off my face and the face brush. I pat my face dry (don't rub your face, especially if you have any breakouts - you can spread the bacteria or cause more skin irritation).

Then I use Patricia Wexler's Exfoliating Cleanser. This is for the treatment of acne and I love this. I can feel it working - although not so much of an exfoliator, but since I use it daily that's okay (save harsher exfoliators for 1 to 4 times per week depending on the type). I apply this cleanser onto my face with my fingers, smearing it onto each main area. Then I use my Sephora Face Complexion Brush and work it into my skin. Then I will rinse my face and pat dry.

Next I will apply Patricia Wexler's Overnight Acne Repair Lotion. I apply this to my entire face (minus the eye area) because I break out everywhere. You may only need to apply this to one or two problem areas. If I forgot to use it in the morning, or if I'm really breaking out, I'll also use Patricia Wexler's Anti-Aging Acne Serum, allowing 2 to 5 minutes in between to dry.

Then I apply Philosophy's Help Me, which helps with dark pigmentation, pores and fine lines.

Finally I can apply my moisturizer and eye cream and get to bed!



Well, that's the plan! I know it worked before, so it should work again. We shall see...

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are set for me to approve them before they post. I do this so I can read each & every one, answering any questions that may be in a comment. Please share your thoughts and questions below :)